I just re-read Brene Brown's 2017 Book, Braving the Wilderness. If you haven't read the book, I encourage you to read it. I was struck by something new this time around - Brene's thoughts about what ART means to life. I wanted to share a few favorite quotes from the book:
1. "Only art can take the holler of a returning soldier and turn it into a shared expression and a deep, collective experience."
2. "Music, like art, gives pain and our most wrenching emotions, voice, language, and form, so it can be recognized and shared."
3. "The magic of the high lonesome sound is the magic of all art: the ability to both capture our pain and deliver us from it at the same time."
4. "The transformative power of art is in this sharing."
5. "It's the sharing of art that whispers, "You're not alone."
6. "Art has the power to render sorrow beautiful, make lonliness a shared experience, and transform despair into hope."
Beautiful words. Any artist will recognize the truth in them and I hope reading them here prompts you to read the full book which can be found here.